Pages

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Something to ponder

Last Friday, I was at home just me and Danielle for the day. Jonathan was at a friend's house, Hannah and Annabeth were on a sleepover, and Mom, Sarah and David were getting the house in town ready to sell. So, it was just me and Short Stuff (my nickname for her). I had to go do some errands, so of course I had to bring her with me. Some people give me strange looks when it's just me and her, as if I'm her mother. It drove me crazy, but now I've been thinking about it differently.

When I went that afternoon to pick up Jonathan, his friend's mom and I were talking about how people give me strange looks with Danielle. I mean, they have no way of knowing that she's my sister. My body is technically capable of having a baby. Anyway, I took Jonathan home, and as I was thinking back over the conversation, something struck me. I wish more people gave me looks. 

I know that sounds strange, but it's true. My pastor gave a stat in one of his teachings a couple weeks ago that is shocking. Last year, for the first time ever, more children were born through wedlock than through marriage. 51% in 2013. I mean, that's astounding. Just think about that. More children were born through wedlock than marriage. And it struck me. I wish more people gave me looks. I wish it wasn't so socially acceptable for people to have babies outside of marriage. If I'm walking through the store, and people can't tell right away that she's my sister, not only do I want them to give me looks, I want people to come up to me and ask me what the heck is wrong with me. I mean really. How sad is it that people really don't care? That they don't take having babies through marriage seriously? That if they see a teenager walking through the store with a baby, they don't bat an eye? It's been something I've been thinking about a lot lately, and I was curious on everyone's opinions on the subject...

2 comments:

  1. Good thoughts Kayla. However when I see pregnant teenagers I'm more inclined to congratulate and encourage them because these days its so rare for them to even KEEP their babies, if they are pregnant through wedlock. Not that you ignore the sin, but it takes a lot of courage to go through a pregnancy and then potentially raise that child as a really young single mom. For me, I see strength and character in a young lady who, after choosing a wrong path in the first place, decides to do the right thing anyway instead of having an abortion. Just my two cents :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm... I hadn't thought about it that way. I guess with your work at CPC you'd have a different perspective. Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete