Pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Hola

Wow wow wow. So much has been happening lately. It's pretty crazy. I've so badly wanted to write about it, but unfortunately I've been having to stay off of the internet pretty much completely. But right now I'm at my grandma's house using her wifi. :) *evil-sounding laugh* ;)

Let's see. Where do I start????? Hm. Well, I suppose I should start with the fair. It was an amazing time. Hannah and I both won blue ribbons, which I'm pretty happy about. We spent a LONG time trying to find Hannah's picture though. Turns out it was displayed way up high, in a place that we had looked before, but apparently we missed it. Haha and you know what they did to my blanket? They displayed the back side of it. The BACK SIDE!!! I was kinda upset at first. It's like "Really? You couldn't tell the front from the back??" I mean, the back is ok, but it doesn't look nearly as nice as the front. Oh well. :) We got some pictures, but for some reason I can't get them to load onto Google Plus, which is how I get them on my blog from my phone. I'll figure it out eventually. The rest of the fair was ok. We went on rides, and by the time we were done my feet hurt SO bad. One of these days I'm gonna look up how big those fairgrounds are..... After we left the fair we went and got Dairy Queen before going back home. Butterfinger Blizzard..... Am I making your mouth water? Because I'm making mine water. :)

A while ago I decided to take my blankets off of Etsy for a little while. I was just getting stressed out, and I needed a break. It was so nice to be able to relax. It was nice to not have to worry about when orders have to get out, how many blankets I need to make at any given time, what supplies I need, or whether I'll have time to finish this particular blanket before the post office closes. It was so much fun being able to come up with new color combinations. I think during my break I made 7 new blankets, and I have 2 new ones in the works. Plus ideas for so many others. When I have orders to do, it's hard to be creative, because you have to make the blanket that the customer wants you to make. When I don't have any orders, I use my creativity as much as I want. It's been awesome. I'm working on trying to list a bunch of the new ones, although I haven't been able to take pictures of most of them yet. I'll have to work on that later today. Anyway, I'm rambling. So even though the break was so nice, Sunday I had to put my blankets back up. I decided that if I want to go to Alaska in less than 2 months, I'd better start making money again. :) I have quite a bit of what I need, but unless I started up again, I'd have to borrow some from Jonathan, (who is my amazing brother who knows how much I want to go to Alaska and would be willing to pay for my whole ticket if I asked) and I don't want to borrow any money. So I have to get working again. So far I haven't sold any blankets, but after I take my stuff down it always takes it awhile to get momentum going again. So I'm still working on new stuff. :)

Lately we've been able to go to some baseball games. One of the men from church wanted to start a team, and Dad's on it, as well as our pastor and his son, and another man from church. Plus I know of 2 other people who might be on it. The rest of the team is people that Mr. LePerle (the guy who started it) knows from his old church, and one of the home inspectors Dad works with. We've gone to 2 games now, and we're going to another one tomorrow. They've been fun. They're only hour-long games, so we can bring the little kids, and they won't get terribly bored. Plus they can play with Yuna LePerle. They like that. :)

Last Friday all six of us had a recital. It's the same one I sang in last year, and I sang again this time. It was freaky, and I thought I was gonna die, but I did it. :) Wes accompanied me again, which was really nice. I sang a song that's called It Happens by Sugarland. Well, I kinda sang that song. Mom and I really liked the song, but the lyrics... Well, they weren't inappropriate, they're just rather worldly. So Mom rewrote it into a song that's all about trusting God and knowing that what He does is always for the best. Ugh. I can't believe I'm doing this, but here's the video if you want to see it. Be warned though, there's a LOT of flat notes in the chorus. :) What can I say, I was nervous.

 
Also, Hannah and I played a violin song we had been working on, and all the other kids played piano. I would love to put videos up of them, but unfortunately we don't have them on YouTube yet. So I'll get around to it eventually. David played Twinkle Twinkle Little Star with Mrs. MacDonald (his piano teacher) accompanying him, Annabeth played the same thing with Jonathan accompanying her, Sarah played I Surrender All, and Jonathan played All Through The Night. They all did wonderfully. Hannah and I played Minuet 2, with Hannah playing the melody and me playing the harmony, and that went alright. Hannah's violin was out of tune, so there were a lot of wrong notes. I don't know how her violin was so out of tune though. There are chairs on the side of the stage that the next performers sit on, and while we were there and Jonathan was playing, I had Hannah's violin right up next to my ear, and I was plucking it really quietly to make sure it was in tune. And wouldn't you know it, by the time we got up on stage and started playing, it wasn't in tune. Ugh. Oh well. I suppose it turned out ok.
 
Let's see. I suppose that's all I have to say right now. Adios!
 

3 comments:

  1. Kayla, That's awesome about the blue ribbons. Your blanket is beautiful. I remember before I crocheted much my mother in law gave me a doily she had crocheted and I was asking her which side was the right one. She told me which ever side I liked the best. :)I'm thankful to be able to tell the difference now.

    I know you're trying to get money at the moment, but the next time you're getting overwhelmed maybe try raising your prices on etsy. Sometimes it ends up that you get busier. Even if you were to stay steady or a little slower you would be making the same or a little more for less work. Wouldn't that be rewarding. =) That's only a suggestion. I just reopened my shop after a few days off and it was wonderful to not worry about it. Keep pressing on. Christ is worthy of all we have and are. ~Kari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha that's a good answer. :) I have to say I like the front side of my blanket better, but I suppose the back doesn't look too bad. :)

      Thank you for the advice. I've raised my prices before to try and slow down business, but this time I was in such a hurry to make everything stop, I just didn't care if nothing was up. :D But I've been able to list about 8 new blankets with one more coming tonight, plus I have a new pattern to list. So hopefully sales should start again soon. I'm looking forward to it. :)

      Delete
  2. That's awesome about your sales! You go girl. :-) My 6 year old would love to learn to crochet or knit. We'll keep trying till she gets it. At the moment my girls are making play doh together (which the four year old loves). Have a great day! ~Kari

    ReplyDelete