Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Music Troubles

Ok, so for the last two years I've had 2 recitals in May. The homeschool one at the beginning of the month, and my violin one about 3 weeks later. And just like last year, it's been pretty hectic. The homeschool recital is done, and I'm glad for that, but now my violin recital is on Sunday, and I have been working like crazy to get ready for it.

I actually didn't know what I was going to be playing until last Thursday. Yeah, I know. That's cutting it pretty close. But I already had a pretty good idea of what I was going to do. It was a song I'd been working on for a couple weeks now, and it just made sense that I was going to do it. So anyway, Thursday rolls around, and during our lesson we determine that yes, that's the song I'll do. I'll do the melody, and Miss Anna, my teacher, will do the harmony. Ok, no big deal. The song is faster than what I'm used to, but since I'd been practicing it for awhile, I was able to play it without even thinking about it. So we determined that I'm gonna do a song with Hannah, (the same one we did in the homeschool recital, which I'm glad about, becuase I don't have to learn something new) then I'll do my song with Miss Anna. Then later on in the recital we'll both be doing a song with some other families from church as a group. We'll be playing Turkey In The Straw, which is quite different from the classical pieces the rest of the recital will be filled with, but that's ok. :D I'm looking forward to doing that.

Anyway, so I've been working on all three of the songs, getting ready to do them. Then, Miss Anna calls last night, and guess what? I'm not playing that one song by myself. Apparently there are too many people doing that one, and so she wanted me to play a different one instead. It's like ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!? She said she had confidence that I'd be able to pull something together in that short of a time, which made me feel better. :) It's another song that I've known for awhile, and while I know it pretty well, I don't like it as much. But I probably know it as well. It's just kind of messing me up to have a song change less than a week before the recital. Ugh. Oh well. It's perfectly fine. It's a shorter song, too, which I'm somewhat glad about. The way that I figure it, the shorter of a time I'm up on stage, the better. :) Although, I suppose I'm never going to get comfortable on stage if I don't actually do it. I don't know.

Anyway, sorry to bother you with my music troubles, but I was trying to think of something to write, and I was like, "Eh, I'll just post about violin." :) I absolutely LOVE doing violin, but I gotta tell ya, it's kind of a big curveball to have a song change now. Oh well. :)

3 comments:

  1. Wow! It sounds like your really busy!!! A bunch of recitals are coming up on the calender at this end too, so I can say that I know how you feel! It's strange to think that we haven't been in Arizona for two years now! I miss the giant recitals with the large crowds, the recitals here usually only have around 30-50 people in the audience, and I love performing in front of giant audiences! So, for me, that's one down side to living in a small town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayla, if you would like to take a look at my sister's and my private blog, you can email me at bethanyvfast@gmail.com, and I'll email you the password to gain access to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. You like playing in front of big crowds?!? You've definitely got more gut than I do, girl!!!! :D Has it really been 2 years already? Wow, time sure flies fast! And thanks! I'll email you right away. :)

    ReplyDelete